From formula samples to diapers to teething toys, many big-box and online retailers offer free sample boxes to new moms looking to prepare for their baby. We’ve rounded up the best of the best.
Ordering a few free sample boxes packed with baby items is a great way to try new brands and build up your baby stash without spending a ton of extra money.
Plus, if you’re left with extras, you can donate your unopened and unused items to a local organization to help out families in need.
This post contains affiliate links. Hello Postpartum may receive a small commission – at no extra cost to you – should you purchase through a link on this page. Thanks for helping us to continue to provide free content for our readers.
So, keep reading to find out the best six places to pick up your free* sample boxes.
Under each retailer, we’ve given a sneak-peek photo of the box plus included a numbered list of the steps to take to get the box into your hands.
*Note: some retailers require you to pay for shipping, tax, and/or make a minimum purchase on their website. Don’t worry; we’ve outlined all of the details below.
What you’ll typically receive
While the contents of the sample boxes will vary depending on where you order it from, they’re generally packed with a variety of mom and baby care items.
- Diaper cream
- Soap and shampoo
- Nursing pads
- Breastmilk bags
- Formula samples
- Coupons and savings
- Extra self-care items for mom
Pro tip: use the sample diapers, wipes, and diaper cream to create an emergency diaper change bag to store in the trunk of your car. Make sure to add in an extra outfit for you and baby, too.
As mentioned above, these boxes are a great way to try out new brands and see what you and your baby like most, all without spending a lot of extra money on something you might not love.
How can I get free samples as a new mom?
You might be surprised at how many places offer free sample boxes for moms to try out. It’s so much fun receiving them in the mail, and these days, many retailers really go above and beyond when it comes to what’s inside.
While there are many places to shop for free sample boxes, we include our personal favorites, plus some new sample baby boxes on the market for you to try out.
Some important things to consider
Before you place your order, there are some important considerations to keep in mind. Check out the below points and the side-by-side comparison chart for more details.
- You may have to pay for shipping
- You may have to start a registry to qualify
- Shipping delays are common
- A minimum purchase might be required
Are they really free? A side-by-side comparison
|Shipping cost||Approximate value||Registry required?||Purchase required?|
|Amazon||Free||$35||Yes||Yes – $10|
|Buy Buy Baby||In-store||$75||Yes||No|
|Babylist||$5.99||Not disclosed||Yes||Yes – $10|
|Walmart||Free||Up to $40||Yes||No|
Retailer round-up: free baby sample boxes
While Amazon likes to keep its baby registry contents a surprise, you can expect to find various items – typically ten or more – packed inside.
Plus, the featured items change seasonally, so there’s no telling what you’ll get, but you can expect a combination of sample size, travel size, and full-size items. Build your Amazon Baby Registry to get started.
Approximate value: $35
How to get your Amazon box:
- Make sure you have an Amazon Prime account (try it for 30 days free)
- Start an Amazon Baby Registry
- Complete over 60% of your checklist
- Have $10 in purchases off of your registry before tax and shipping
Note: Amazon’s baby boxes are available to ship in only the continental United States and cannot be shipped to Alaska or Hawaii addresses.
When you create a registry at Target, you’ll receive a free sample bag packed with Target’s favorite baby items such as a travel size of Water Wipes, a bottle, diaper samples, and coupons.
Plus, there’s no need to pay for shipping; stop by your local Target to grab yours. We suggest calling ahead to customer service to make sure it’s available before you leave the house.
Approximate value: $100
How to get your Target box:
- Start your baby registry on Target.com
- Call ahead to your local Target and ask if they have registry gift bags in stock
- Swing by and pick yours up on your next Target run
Buy Buy Baby
When you start your registry with Buy Buy Baby and head to one of their physical store locations, you’ll receive one of their Baby Registry Goody Bags packed with samples and coupons.
You can also purchase the box for $10 here and (according to some) receive a $10 Buy Buy Baby coupon inside.
Inside, you can expect to find wipes, diaper cream, detergent samples, and other common baby items. Some moms report a onesie was included as well, but it all depends on who Buy Buy Baby is partnering with at the moment.
Note: while the requirements do state you have to be in-store to get the box, some moms report they called Buy Buy Baby directly and asked for it to be shipped (for free!). Asking is always worth trying if you don’t want to spend the $10 and buy it through the website.
Approximate value: $75
How to get your Buy Buy Baby box:
- Start your baby registry on Buybuybaby.com
- Swing by – or call – your local Buy Buy Baby to receive your bag OR
- Purchase your box directly on the website here
While the Babylist sample box requires you to do a little more work upfront than other boxes (more on that below), many parents agree that it’s worth the extra effort.
Some have also claimed that 2021 is the best year yet in terms of what’s inside.
Here’s a small sample of what some parents said was inside their “free” Babylist sample box:
- Aden & Anais swaddle
- $35 Yumi gift card
- Kickee Pants black sleeper (3-6 months)
- Advent 4oz. bottle
- Noodle & Boo wash and lotion sample
- Baby Bum coconut balm sample
Approximate value: not disclosed
How to get your Babylist box:
- Start your baby registry on Babylist.com
- Add your first and last name, arrival date, and valid US shipping account to your profile
- Add three items directly from the Babylist store
- Add three items from other stores
- Make a minimum purchase of $10 from the Babylist store
- Verify your adress (no PO Boxes, US territories, or international addresses allowed)
- Pay $5.99 in shipping fees plus tax (where applicable)
This free sample box is different than the others on this list, but it’s too good not to mention, and our founder is a huge fan of the Kabrita brand.
If you haven’t heard of Kabrita, they’re makers of a gentle goat milk formula and other goat milk products. It’s also women-led and run by moms. They take pride in the products they create, all of which are easy on a baby’s delicate tummy.
Inside your sample box from Kabrita, you’ll receive:
- 1 5.3 oz carton of goat milk toddler* formula
- 1 package of apple and cinnamon goat milk porridge
- 1 package of goat milk puffs
- Exclusive coupons
Approximate value: $30
*Note: according to Kabrita, “Currently, Kabrita Goat Milk Toddler Formula is available in the United States. We are not allowed to recommend this product for infants. Our Toddler Formula meets the FDA nutritional requirements for infant formula, however, it has not gone through the FDA evaluation process that is required for infant formula.” So, please talk to your baby’s pediatrician with any questions.
How to get your Kabrita box:
- Head to Kabrita’s trial offer page
- Add the item to your cart
- Pay $4.99 shipping and handling
While Wal-Mart doesn’t disclose exactly what’s in their box, you can expect to find samples, exclusive coupons, and products from brands such as Dreft, Huggies, Dr. Brown’s, Mam, Enfamil, and more. Simply start your baby resigtry on Wal-Mart to check off the first step.
Approximate value: up to $40
How to get your Wal-Mart box:
- Start your baby registry on Walmart.com
- Copy your registry URL and head to here to request your box
- Paste the URL in the form and fill out additional information
The free sample box from Noobie rotates monthly and is jam-packed with items from different brands. At the time of writing this post, the box includes twelve samples from brands such as Lansinoh, Upspring, Original Sprout, Aquaphor, and Water Wipes.
We’re all for surprises, though, and the reviews from real-life moms seem very, very promising. Count us in.
But is the Noobie Box really free? It is, technically. You don’t pay anything for the box but are required to pay $12.95 for shipping and handling.
Approximate value: varies by month
How to get your Noobie box:
- Head to Noobie’s website and check out the Pregnancy Box
- Click ‘Start Your Order’
- Enter your details and add box to the cart
- Pay $12.95 shipping
- Check out and wait 5-10 business days for delivery
Looking for more baby item suggestions?
Check out the below posts with our must-haves for both mom and baby.