A new mom’s hunger is no joke, especially if she’s breastfeeding. These easy and delicious chocolate nut butter energy balls are perfect to have on hand in the weeks after birth and during postpartum recovery.
When preparing for postpartum, it’s a great idea to batch-cook a few recipes and meals to have on hand as needed. Pulling a meal out of the freezer will feel like you’ve hit the lottery when you’re sleep-deprived and unsure of what day it is.
This chocolate chunk and nut butter energy ball recipe can be your go-to for a quick, healthy snack that packs many nutrients.
If you’re pregnant, you can make a batch or two and store them in the freezer for a post-birth (or eat them now!).
These postpartum energy balls pack in nutrient-dense ingredients
The ingredients found in these postpartum energy balls were selected because they help optimize hormones, boost milk supply, and fuel you with healthy fats and protein. You can learn more about the benefits of each ingredient here.
The best part? There’s no baking required.
Recipe: dark chocolate chunk nut butter balls
- 1 cup sprouted oats
- ⅔ cup coconut shreds
- ½ cup ground nut butter
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips or chunks (we love this brand because they’re allergen-friendly and contain no questionable ingredients)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Cover and let chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, roll into balls of whatever size you would like. I made mine large using a scooper (they can be very sticky), which makes about 12 balls.
- Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to one week or in the freezer for three months.
Looking for more postpartum meals? Check out our Postpartum Nutrition eBook and Recipe Guide for additional meal ideas, inspiration, and more.
Lauren Chambers is a certified nutrition and hormone Health Coach, a Feel Good Food recipe blogger, and the founder of So Fresh N So Green. Her mission is to empower and inspire you to eat well and treat yourself even better – so you can feel amazing and ultimately live your best life.